- 2 Packages yeast
- 3 Cups warm water
- 4 Cups white flour
- 4 Tbsp. white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. shortening
- 4 Cups unsifted stoneground whole wheat flour
- 2 Cups pumpernickel rye flour
- 2 Cups additional white flour
- Dissolve the yeast in the 3 cup of warm water.
- Add flour, sugar, and salt.
- Let rise in a warm place until light and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Combine the brown sugar, shortening, and 1 cup of hot water.
- Let cool to lukewarm and add to risen mixture.
- Add whole wheat flour, the pumpernickel rye flour, and the remaining 2 cup of white flour.
- Mix as long as you can, then turn mixture onto table and knead for at least 15 minutes.
- Place in buttered bowl.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn onto a well floured table again and separate mixture into 4 balls.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Shape into 4 loaves.
- Place in greased bread pans.
- Let rise in pans, in warm place, covered with a towel, for about an hour or until light.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Remove from pans and place on racks to cool.
- Butter top of bread while hot.
Credit by: Bruce Carlson