- 1/2 Cup warm water
- 1/2 Tsp. sugar
- 2 Packages yeast
- 2 more Cups warm water
- 5 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lard
- 5 1/2 Cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water with 1/2 tsp. sugar.
- Mix the 2 cups warm water with sugar, salt, melted (or soft) lard and stir in dissolved yeast.
- Beat in flour, 2 cups at first, then add 1 cup at a time until dough is stiff enough to turn out on floured board.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and then knead until smooth and elastic.
- Put in greased bowl and cover.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Shape into 3 loaves, put in greased bread pans, cover and let rise until doubled or light.
- Bake at 350°-375° for 30-40 minutes until nicely browned.
Credit by: Sandi Weber