- 1/2 Cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Pounds round steak (1-inch thick)
- 3 Tbsp. bacon drippings or other fat
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic (minced, optional)
- 1 Cup celery (chopped)
- 1 Cup tomato juice or 1/2 Cup catsup and 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Small can mushrooms (undrained)
- Mix flour with a little salt and pepper.
- Pound mixture into steak on both sides.
- Heat fat in large heavy skillet or Dutch oven, brown steak.
- Add remaining ingredients, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake in moderate oven, 350°, about 1 1/2 hours or until steak is tender.
- Turn and baste steak occasionally and add a little water if needed to keep gravy from becoming too thick.
Credit by: Bruce Carlson