Nonnie Dee's Stuffed Peppers
Although fairly simple, this recipe is not for the beginning cook because the ingredient amounts are actually approximations, and the cook must have some feeling for the correct consistency.Print Pin Rate
- 6 slices somewhat stale dry white bread
- 1 cup Progresso Italian bread crumbs
- 2 6 oz. cans tuna drained
- 1/2 can black pitted olives
- 1/2 can green pitted olives (not stuffed )
- 2 cans eggplant caponata
- parsley -large handful chopped
- several dashes wine vinegar
- several dashes Tabasco
- garlic powder to taste
- salt and pepper
- 2 extra large eggs beaten
- 6 large red bell peppers can use green, but red is better
- Crumble bread, add all other ingredients, except bell peppers.
- Mix thoroughly with fork or by hand.
- Cut bell peppers vertically down the middle.
- Remove stem and innards. Stuff.
- Oil lightly bottom of long shallow roasting pan. (May line with aluminum foil.)
- Arrange peppers in pan, stuffing up.
- Pour about 1/2 teaspoon oil over each pepper.
- Bake at 375° about 20 minutes then turn over with spatula so stuffed side is down.
- Let brown on bottom (slightly), then turn over again if necessary.
- Done when peppers are soft. If desired, may add marinara sauce, but not necessary.
Credit: Mrs. Deanna (Tom) Kristopeit, Riverfront Authority