- 1 lb. mild bulk sausage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt pepper & parsley
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Slice pumpkin in half.
- Remove fiber & seeds.
- Sprinkle cavities with salt.
- Place pumpkin, cut side down, in a 9" square baking pan.
- Fill pan with 1" water.
- Bake in 375° oven 1 hour or until tender.
- Turn pumpkin right-side up in water.
- Cook the sausage in heavy skillet until brown. Drain well.
- Cook celery & onion in a small amount of fat until clear.
- Add mushrooms & cook a few minutes longer.
- Combine egg, sour cream, cheese & seasonings, add to sausage & vegetable mixture.
- Spoon into cavity of pumpkin.
- Bake 25 minutes.
When serving, spoonfuls of pumpkin flesh should be served along with the stuffing . Winter squash can be substituted for pumpkin. Credit: Pete Cernich, Fire