- 12 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 eggs (beaten)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cakes or pkgs. dry yeast
- 1 large box raisins
- Grease pans.
- Place raisins in pot with water and boil for 2-4 minutes (this will help them adhere to bread dough) drain.
- Warm milk, sugar and margarine until margarine melts & sugar dissolves.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Put yeast in bowl with 1/2 cup of warm water and 1 tsp. sugar.
- Let yeast work for 10 minutes.
- Mix flour sugar mixture, eggs, salt & yeast together Let rise till double in bulk.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Put dough on floured surface & knead adding more flour (approximately 1 cup).
- Knead until dough leaves fingers and is smooth & elastic; add raisins.
- Form into loaves & put in pans.
- Let rise again then bake at 350 degrees 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush tops with butter.
- Remove from pans & cool.
Credit: Joan Kleczewski, Communications