- 2 1/2 Cup sifted cake flour
- 3 Tsp. taking powder
- 1/4 Tsp. salt
- 1/2 Cup shortening
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Canned pineapple slices (drained, see note)
- Maraschino cherries
- Mix and sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream shortening, gradually beat in granulated sugar, mix well.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat thoroughly.
- Add sifted dry ingredients, alternately, a little at a time with the milk.
- Turn temperature control knob to 230° and put butter in skillet immediately.
- When melted, add pineapple slices.
- Add brown sugar mixture with cherry in center of each.
- Pour cake batter over fruit.
- Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until the top is dry and springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert skillet and remove cake on a serving platter.
- Makes 9 large servings.
- (NOTE: For a 10 1/2-inch skillet use pineapple from a 20 oz. can; average number of slices in a can is 10. For an 11 1/2-inch skillet, use slices from a 30 oz. can; average number per can is 8. If desired, cut slices in 1/4 and arrange.)
Credit by: Sandi Weber