- 2 Cups scalded milk
- 1/2 Cup shortening
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 2 Tsp. salt
- 2 Packages yeast
- 1/2 Cup lukewarm water
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 8 Cups flour
- Combine milk, shortening, sugar, and salt.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast, dissolved in water and mix well.
- Add eggs and stir.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Cover mixing bowl and let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and knead lightly.
- Divide dough into 3 parts.
- Next divide each part 3 times (to make 3 braided loaves).
- Roll each of the 9 pieces of dough into a rope shape.
- Spread each rope generously with butter, cinnamon, and sugar before braiding ropes together.
- Braid 3 ropes together to make 1 loaf.
- Let rise until double in bulk.
- Bake at 300° for 25 to 30 minutes, ice with frosting made from milk, butter, powdered sugar, and almond flavoring.
- Garnish with pecans, red and green cherries, and candied fruit. Makes 3 loaves.
Credit by: Sandi Weber