- 1 ham bone
- 1 #303 can of tomatoes
- handful of celery tops
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 6 medium carrots sliced
- 1 can #303 whole kernel corn ((optional))
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Place first seven ingredients in large kettle.
- Add water.
- Heat to boiling, then simmer for 1 1/2-2 hrs.
- Remove ham bone, cut off meat and return meat to kettle. (You may cool at this point and remove any fat.)
- Add potatoes, carrots and corn.
- Simmer until tender approximately 45 minutes.
- Taste before adding'salt or pepper.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Credit: Peggy McManus, Littleton Service Center