- 1 Gallon apples (washed and pricked)
- 5 Cups sugar
- 4 Cups dark vinegar
- 3 Cups water
- 2 Sticks cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. whole allspice
- 1/2 Tbsp. whole cloves
- Gauze bag
- In large kettle mix sugar, vinegar, and water.
- Tie spices in gauze bag and add to syrup mixture.
- Bring syrup to a boil and cook until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- When cooled add apples (whole) and return to heat.
- Simmer until apples are tender but not mushy.
- Remove from heat and let stand 12-18 hours.
- Remove apples from syrup and pack into hot jars.
- Heat syrup and pour over apples, seal with hot lids.
Credit by: Sandi Weber