- 1/2 Cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 Tsp. salt
- 2/3 Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup chopped nuts
- 1 Cup sugar (divided)
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 Cup cocoa
- 3 Tbsp. butter (softened)
- Cream shortening, 3/4 cup sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, sad, and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon 1/3 of batter into a well-greased 6 1/2 cups ring mold or round 9-inch cake pan.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa, and nuts; sprinkle half over batter in pan and dot with half of butter.
- Repeat layers and top with remaining third of batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or till done.
- Let stand for 5 minutes; turn out of mold and serve hot.
Credit by: Sandi Weber