- 2 Packages dry yeast
- 1/2 Cup warm water
- 1 3/4 Cups warm water
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. shortening
- 6-7 Cups Gold Medal flour
- 1 Cup raisins
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 2 Tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Butter (softened)
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cup warm water, 3 tbsp. sugar, salt, shortening, and 3 1/2 cups of the flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix in raisins and enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl.
- Turn greased side up.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 hour. (Dough is ready it an indentation remains when touched.)
- Punch down dough and divide into halves.
- Roll each half into rectangle 18x9-inches.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle each half with 1 tbsp. water and half of the sugar mixture.
- Roll up, beginning at 9-inch side.
- With side of hand, press each end to seal.
- Fold ends under.
- Place seam side down in greased loaf pan.
- Brush with butter.
- Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Brush with butter and cool on rack.
Credit by: Bruce Carlson