- 4 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 large yellow onions sliced
- 4 cups peeled diced, uncooked potatoes
- 3 medium carrots shredded
- 4 medium stalks celery chopped
- Water (begin with 8 cups )
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp dill weed or to taste
- 4 or 5 slices whole wheat or rye bread, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or to taste.
- Melt butter in a large kettle over moderate heat.
- Add onion.
- Saute over moderate heat until onion is soft, stirring frequently.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery and water. (The amount of water with vary, depending upon desired consistency of soup and the type of bread that is later crumbled into it for thickening purposes. )
- Add pepper, salt, parsley, dill and crumbled bread.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, one hour.
- Stir cheese into soup during the last few minutes cooking time.
Credit: J. Jerome, Finance