Preheat oven to 375°. Mix together thoroughly:
- 1 Cup shortening (half butter)
- 1 Cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Tsp. almond extract
- Sift together and stir in 2 1/2 cups sifted flour, 1 tsp. salt.
- Divide dough in two halves.
- Blend into one half 1/2 tsp. red food coloring.
- Roll 1 tsp. each color dough into a strip about 4-inches long.
- Place strips side by side; press together and twist like a rope.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Curve top down to form cane handle.
- Bake 9 minutes until brown.
- Roll in mixture of 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy.
Credit by: Sandi Weber