Makes about twenty-four 1 1/2 inch biscuits. This recipe, because of the sour milk and soda, has a very tender dough. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.Print Pin Rate
Sift before measuring:
- 2 cups cake flour or 1 3/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp double-acting baking power
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
Cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture is of the consistency of coarse corn meal:
- 5 tbsp butter
Add all at once:
2/3 to 3/4 cup Add all at once:
- Stir cautiously until there is no danger of spilling, then stir vigorously until the dough is fairly free from the sides of the bowl. Total stiring time 1/2 minute.
- After lightly mixing, turn the dough onto a floured board.
- Knead it lightly for 1/2 minute.
- Pat the dough to the thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Cut with a biscuit cutter.
- Bake from 10 to 12 minutes.
Credit: Lee Daugherty, Fire